Hirunews Logo
Four+die+of+a+poisonous+gas+leak+inside+a+gem+mine+in+Rathnapura
Wednesday, 08 April 2015 - 15:15
Four die of a poisonous gas leak inside a gem mine in Rathnapura
161

Shares
19,408

Views

Four miners died following an accident in a gem pit at Pagoda, Gilimale in Ratnapura this afternoon.

Police Media Spokesman ASP Ruwan Gunasekera said that the four gem miners died inside the gem pit after inhaling a poisonous gas.

Meanwhile, the bodies of the dead have been brought to Ratnapura Hospital for further investigations.

A Ratnapura police spokesman told our news team that 7 laborers were in the gem mine at the time of the accident.

Another laborer who fell critically ill has also been admitted to hospital.

It is reported that the gem pit comprised of 9 storeys and 30 to 40 feet deep.

A senior police officer attached to the Ratnapura Police said the laborers have fallen into the gem pit as they were descending into the mine this afternoon.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Heavy snow across the globe
Friday, 13 January 2017 - 9:29
Many countries are experiencing heavy snow, foreign media states. The temperature in England, Scotland, North Ireland and Wales has hit minus 10 degrees... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
531 Views
972 Views
2,263 Views
1,685 Views
9,943 Views
44,517 Views
Top