Thursday, 24 September 2015 - 19:13
2 former hangmen ready to return for duty
Although the demands the implementation of capital punishment against rapists and child abusers, the post of hangman still remain vacant.
The Prison Department has received 15 applications after the hangman post was advertised two months ago.
A senior officer of the Department stated that a suitable person would be recruited after interviewing the applications within a month.
He told our news team that two hangmen were trained previously but dismissed them on absenteeism.
The spokesman told our news team that these two hangmen have consented to return to work.
One of the former hangmen Sarath Pushpakumara of Raddoluwa stated that he is ready to accept the post again.
At the same time, the other former hangman V.D. Pathmasiri of Biyagama said that his appeal was rejected by the Prison Department.