Tuesday, 12 April 2016 - 20:26
Deputy minister, hopes for an uninterrupted power supply during new years celebration, providing there is no system fault
The Deputy Minister of Power and Renewable Energy, Ajith P Perera said that it is not necessary to schedule power cuts over the next couple of days, during the Sinhala and Tamil New Year.
Addressing a media conference held at his office this morning, he said electricity will be supplied without interruption providing no technical faults arise.
He said earlier that the third phase power generating plant of Norochcholai has not been functioning since yesterday.
However the deputy minister clarified that this had not hindered the power supply.
The third phase plant generates 300 mega watts to the national grid. The deputy minister also said the capacity of the first phase of the plant has also malfunctioned.
He said tenders have been called to buy 55 mega watts from private electricity producers to cope with the prevailing power crisis.
Meanwhile the Water Supply and Drainage Board requests its consumers to use running water sparingly over the next few days.
The Water Supply and Drainage Board’s General Manger Ranjith Balasuriya said at a media conference held in Colombo today that his staff will be on call to deal with any emergency.