John Ridsdel: Hostage From Canada Killed In Philippines

Tuesday, 26 April 2016 - 15:15

John+Ridsdel%3A+Hostage+From+Canada+Killed+In+Philippines

A Canadian man held captive by Islamist militants for months in the Philippines has been killed.

John Ridsdel, 68, was taken from a tourist resort along with three others by the Abu Sayyaf group in September last year.

The group had threatened to kill a male hostage on April 25 if a ransom was not paid.

Confirming the death, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called it "an act of cold-blooded murder".

Islamic State threat in Southeast Asia

Mr Ridsdel was kidnapped from a marina near the city of Davao along with another Canadian, Robert Hall, Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad and a Philippine woman, Mr Hall's girlfriend Marites Flor.

They were taken 500km (300 miles) to the island of Jolo. Abu Sayyaf released a video of the group in November, in which they demanded $80m (£55m) for their release.

Mr Ridsdel later warned that he was due to be killed if no ransom was paid.

Several hours after the deadline, a severed head was found in a street on Jolo. The Philippine authorities said it belonged to a foreign man but it has not yet been formally identified.

Abu Sayyaf was set up in the 1990s with funding from al-Qaeda, and is fighting for an independent Islamic province in the Philippines.

One of its commanders recently pledged allegiance to so-called Islamic State. The group is also holding several other foreigners.

Eighteen Philippine soldiers were killed in clashes with the militants on Basilan Island near Jolo Island earlier this month, foreign media reports.



Muslim congress leader ready for an alliance with the TNA and JVP
Sunday, 23 February 2020 - 18:41

Leader of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress MP Rauff Hakeem says that discussions are underway to create an alliance with the JVP and the TNA to contest the... Read More

Hiru News - Sri Lanka’s number 1 TV news bulletin – @ 6.55 tonight
Sunday, 23 February 2020 - 18:13

Hiru News - Sri Lanka’s number 1 TV news bulletin – @ 6.55 tonightThis news telecast is available live on You Tube. Read More

Passengers from South Korea to be on observation for 14 days- Corona affected exceed 78,000
Sunday, 23 February 2020 - 18:38

Director General of Health Services Dr. Anil Jasinghe says that starting from today all passengers arriving from South Korea will undergo special inspection... Read More