Hirunews Logo
Oxygen+Bottle+Error+At+Sydney+Hospital+Injured+Third+Baby
Wednesday, 27 July 2016 - 10:51
Oxygen Bottle Error At Sydney Hospital Injured Third Baby
126

Shares
15,173

Views

A third baby was left with significant injuries in an incident in a birthing suite at Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital in Sydney, Australia more than two years ago, Australian media reports.

The wall-mounted units which provide oxygen at the hospital were installed after a newborn was injured in January 2014, when an oxygen bottle ran out in a birthing suite as a baby was being resuscitated.

The case led the hospital to install the oxygen wall units to allow a constant flow of the gas to theatres.

The revelation comes after the death of baby John Ghanem on July 13 of this year, after he was accidentally administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen through an incorrectly installed machine at the hospital.

Another child, a baby girl, born in June, was also given the poison and remains in a critical condition with significant brain damage.

The error was identified last Thursday, after a paediatrician raised concerns over the death of the baby.

An oxygen machine in one of the hospital's theatres was incorrectly installed and certified by gas supplier.

A review of Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital's records has found no other babies received the incorrect gas, the NSW Australian Health Minister told media.

The hospital has shut down the operation theatre with the faulty machine, while the hospital's seven other theatres have been checked and deemed safe.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Heavy snow across the globe
Friday, 13 January 2017 - 9:29
Many countries are experiencing heavy snow, foreign media states. The temperature in England, Scotland, North Ireland and Wales has hit minus 10 degrees... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
237 Views
677 Views
2,231 Views
1,509 Views
9,550 Views
44,301 Views
Top