Hirunews Logo
UN+says+Syrian+regime+is+not+letting+aid+convoy+of+20+trucks+into+Aleppo
Wednesday, 14 September 2016 - 7:55
UN says Syrian regime is not letting aid convoy of 20 trucks into Aleppo
23

Shares
2,859

Views
The Syrian regime has been accused of not allowing 20 United Nations aid trucks into eastern Aleppo, one of the key terms of the ceasefire that started on Sunday (12 September).

UN special envoy Staffan de Mistura said that the trucks are ready to move and that the Syrian government was in breach of the agreement brokered by the US and Russia, which included allowing the vehicles through simply by notifying the government in Damascus.

"We need to do more homework," de Mistura said although he did point out that there had been a drop in violence in the first 24 hours of the ceasefire.

De Mistura said eastern Aleppo was different from the rest of Syria where formal letters of authorisation were needed before aid can be delivered.

The Syrian government has warned it would not allow Turkish humanitarian aid into the besieged city of Aleppo without its permission.

A senior US official said Washington was doing all it could to ensure the UN convoy safe access.
Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Farmers occupy A-9 road to dry paddy
Thursday, 22 February 2018 - 13:52
The drivers who are using the A-9 road complain that farmers have occupied certain sections of the road stretch from Puliyankulama to Mullaitivu to dry... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
3,415 Views
15,403 Views
635 Views
2,986 Views
367 Views
16,868 Views
Top