Hirunews Logo
Rescue+Operations+continue+in+search+of+two%2C+trapped+beneath+the+debris++of+the+collapsed+5++storey+building+in+Wellawatta+-+One+person+has+succumbed+to+injuries
Friday, 19 May 2017 - 8:18
Rescue Operations continue in search of two, trapped beneath the debris of the collapsed 5 storey building in Wellawatta - One person has succumbed to injuries
6,082

Views
Search Operations continue for 2 individuals believed to be trapped under the debris following the collapse of the 5 storied building that was located on  Charlemon Road opposite the Savoy cinema in Wellawatte.

Police stated that it has been reported that a female and a male are unaccounted for.

Meanwhile, another individual who was rescued from beneath the rubble last night has succumbed to his injuries after being admitted to colombo National Hospital.

Police stated that the deceased was a Youth who had been working at the site.

Meanwhile, it has been stated that 20 other individuals who sustained injuries and  were admitted to hospital are not in critical condition

Rescue operations being carried out with the support of the Army, Air Force, Police and Fire Fighting Units were temporarily halted at 11 last night.

Efforts will recommence this morning.

In the meantime, Acting Divisional Secretary of Wellawatte Nalini Subramaniyum said that an inquiry will be launched looking into the standard of construction at the  site.

Minister of Disaster Management Anura Priyadarshana Yapa also visited the scene last night and said that local government institutions need to take responsibility if there was an issue with the standard of construction of the building.
Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
93 Views
15,071 Views
5,347 Views
8,422 Views
382 Views
12,789 Views
Top