Hirunews Logo
Update+%3A+800+thousand+still+in+distress+by+floods%2C+landslides+and+drought%3B+Student+death+toll+increased+to+51
Monday, 05 June 2017 - 16:20
Update : 800 thousand still in distress by floods, landslides and drought; Student death toll increased to 51
7,556

Views
The Disaster management Centre states that 804 thousand 831 persons of 208 thousand 660 families are still in distress due to floods, landslides and drought in the island.

683 thousand persons of 175 thousand 660 families who have been affected by floods and landslides still remain in makeshift camps.

212 persons died and 79 remain missing after floods and landslides affected 8 districts last Friday.

The worst affected district is Ratnapura. 87 persons died and 14 persons remain missing in the district.

Meanwhile, the landslide warning issued 7 districts has been further extended by the Building and Research Organization.

Accordingly, disaster warning issued on the districts of Ratnapura, Kalutara, Kegalle, Galle, Matara, Hambantota and Nuwara Eliya will continue for the next 24 hours.

Meanwhile, several schools were re-opened today after being closed due to the inclement weather last week. However, the education ministry reported of poor attendance of students in several schools today.

Meanwhile, it is identified that 51 students were among the total death toll of 212.

The ministry stated that In addition, 54 thousand students have been affected by the disaster.

The drought weather existing in several areas of the Northern Province has affected 121 thousand members of 33 thousand families.

Jaffna District Secretary Nagalingam Vedanayagam stated that among the most affected area are: Kytes, Maradankerni, Karainagar, Sandilipai, Sangattanai and Velanai in the Jaffna district.

Update : Monday, June 5, 2017 20.06
-----------------------------------------------

The landslide warning that had been issued for 07 Districts has been further extended to the next 24 hours.

Accordingly, the landslide warning will take effect in Rathnapura, Kegalle, Kalutara, Galle, Matara, Hambantota and Nuwara Eliya districts.

In an announcement made by National Building and Research Organization, people in the areas where landslide warning has been extended must be thoroughly cautious if the areas received ahowers within the next 24 hours.

Meanwhile, 22 families were evacuated last night from Tibbotuwawa hill in Kalutara due to a risk of landslide.

According to a recommendation of the NBRO, the evacuation has been conducted, said the Divisional Secretary in Bulathsinhala, S.K.Henadheera to the Hiru news team.

Moreover, monks in Pahiyangala historical place were also evacuated in line with instructions given by the NBRO.

In addition, the landslide warning issued to Ratnapura, Kegalle, Galle, Matara, Hambantota and Nuwara Eliya districts are in effect till this afternoon.

Death toll due to adverse weather remain in 212 now, while 79 people are still missing.

Moreover, number of people affected from the disasters have exceeded 700,000 now.

2136 houses have been completely destroyed while 12,515 houses have been partly destroyed.

Moreover, 24,820 affected people have been sheltered in 226 safe places, said the Disaster Management Centre.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
382 Views
159 Views
5,383 Views
8,665 Views
492 Views
13,191 Views
Top