Hirunews Logo
Verbal+war+between+North+Korea+and+US+continues
Sunday, 24 September 2017 - 12:38
Verbal war between North Korea and US continues
10,729

Views

North Korea has said that firing its rockets at the US mainland was “inevitable” after Donald Trump called Pyongyang’s leader “rocket man”, in a further escalation of rhetoric between the two leaders.

North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho’s remarks before the United Nations general assembly came hours after US Air Force B-1B Lancer bombers escorted by fighter jets flew in international airspace over waters east of North Korea, in a show of force the Pentagon said demonstrated the range of military options available to the US president.

“Through such a prolonged and arduous struggle, now we are finally only a few steps away from the final gate of completion of the state nuclear force,” Ri told the annual gathering of world leaders.

“It is only a forlorn hope to consider any chance that the DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) would be shaken an inch or change its stance due to the harsher sanctions by the hostile forces,” he said.

Trump announced new US sanctions on Thursday (21) that he said allow targeting of companies and institutions that finance and facilitate trade with North Korea. Earlier this month the UN security council unanimously adopted its ninth round of sanctions on Pyongyang to counter its nuclear and ballistic missiles programs.

Ri, who said Pyongyang’s ultimate goal was to establish a “balance of power with the US”, retorted that Trump himself was on a “suicide mission” after the US president said Kim was on such a mission.

The US bombers’ flight was the farthest north of the demilitarised zone separating North and South Korea that any US fighter jet or bomber has flown in the 21st century, the Pentagon said.

“This mission is a demonstration of US resolve and a clear message that the President has many military options to defeat any threat,” said Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White, calling North Korea’s weapons program “a grave threat”.

“We are prepared to use the full range of military capabilities to defend the US homeland and our allies”.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
280 Views
12 Views
5,375 Views
8,568 Views
453 Views
13,042 Views
Top