Hirunews Logo
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
Two+arrested+over+South+Korea%27s+deadliest+fire+in+years
Wednesday, 27 December 2017 - 7:28
Two arrested over South Korea's deadliest fire in years
21

Shares
2,637

Views
The owner and the manager of a South Korean building where 29 people died last week in a fire have been arrested.

The fire, which ripped through an eight-storey building in the city of Jecheon in North Chungcheong province, was the deadliest blaze in South Korea in 9 years.

The owner of the building, whose surname is Lee, is accused of violating fire safety regulations and committing involuntary homicide by negligence, the official said.

Meanwhile, the building's manager, whose surname is Kim, is accused of involuntary homicide. The men's complete names were not released, as is customary in South Korea.

Police are seeking additional arrest warrants to extend the men's detention periods, the official said.

Those killed include 23 women and 6 men.

Some survivors escaped the flames by jumping from balconies onto inflatable mats. About 20 people were rescued from the building's roof by helicopter.

The fire is thought to have started in a parked vehicle on the building's ground floor.



Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
HiruNews
Thursday, 16 August 2018 - 16:24
Mangroves play a critical role in maintaining the ecological balance in Sri Lanka's coastal areas.However, some money-hungry people do not understand this.Our... Read More
HiruNews
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
5,738 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
10,100 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
8,908 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
23,265 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
1,409 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
56,304 Views
Top