A+new+archaeological+opinion+on+Mannar+mass+grave
Friday, 08 March 2019 - 14:10
A new archaeological opinion on Mannar mass grave
1,609

Views
Chakravarthi Venerable Ellawala Medhananda thero of Archaeology said that it is possible to declare very clearly, that the bone fragments discovered from mass grave in Mannar belong to persons who died during battles with the Portuguese and Dutch.

This was when he expressed his views on the revelation made according to reports on American Carbon Dating that bone fragments found at the mass grave in Mannar belonged to the period 1400 – 1650 AD.

The report on the bone samples sent to a Laboratory in Florida for Carbon Dating was made public yesterday by the Magistrate’s Court in Mannar.

Accordingly experts point out that this mass grave belongs to a period between 500 and 600 years ago.

Chakravarthi Venerable Ellawala Medhananda thero of Archaeology expressing his views regarding this said that many battles had taken place in places in the vicinity of Mannar between Portuguese and the Dutch.

Soil removed from where the previous Sathosa building had been located in Mannar, had been taken to the Mannar – Emil Nagar area and it was here that human bone fragments were found on 26 March last year for the first time.
Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
HiruNews
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
2,808 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
56,296 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
21,568 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
46,887 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
1,267 Views
HiruNews
HiruNews
HiruNews
106,024 Views
Top