Hirunews Logo
NATO+must+probe+Libya+civilian+deaths
Tuesday, 20 March 2012 - 8:32
NATO must probe Libya civilian deaths
11

Shares
1,363

Views

Amnesty International has called on NATO to investigate civilian deaths from its bombing campaign in Libya last year.

The human rights group said it had evidence that 55 civilians, including 16 children and 14 women, were killed in air strikes.

It acknowledged NATO tried to minimise civilian deaths, but said it must compensate families of those killed.

NATO said it had looked into all credible reports of civilians being harmed, and would continue to do so.

Amnesty issued its report on the anniversary of the start of the NATO bombing campaign against Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces, acting under a UN mandate to protect civilians.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Top 25 beaches in the world
Saturday, 25 February 2017 - 12:02
TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards reveals top 25 beaches in the world. Baia do Sancho on the Brazilian archipelago Fernando de Noronha takes the top... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
1,938 Views
4,064 Views
2,706 Views
4,330 Views
2,953 Views
48,322 Views
Top