Hirunews Logo
Blasts+at+scene+of+Toulouse+gunman+siege
Thursday, 22 March 2012 - 11:57
Blasts at scene of Toulouse gunman siege
9

Shares
1,118

Views

Three explosions have been heard at a block of flats in the French city of Toulouse where a man suspected of killing seven people has been holed up since last morning.

The interior ministry could not confirm an assault on the flat had begun.

The blasts were accompanied by flashes of orange light.

Mohammed Merah, 23, is suspected of killing four people at a Jewish school last Monday and three soldiers in two attacks last week.

Earlier, deputy mayor Jean-Pierre Havrin told local media that "negotiations have finished and the assault has begun".

However, sources from the French interior ministry have since been quoted as saying said this was beginning of an operation to apply more pressure on Merah.

Elsewhere in the city, police are hunting for accomplices and have detained several members of Merah's family.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Top 25 beaches in the world
Saturday, 25 February 2017 - 12:02
TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards reveals top 25 beaches in the world. Baia do Sancho on the Brazilian archipelago Fernando de Noronha takes the top... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
60 Views
4,222 Views
2,707 Views
4,394 Views
3,124 Views
48,459 Views
Top