Indian Media states that the Madras high court has reserved orders on petitions to vacate a central government order, issued in May 2010, extending the ban on the LTTE by two more years.
A division of the Madras High Court reserved the verdict without mentioning any date.
Several petitions submitted by advocacy groups for the LTTE, are currently being examined at the Madras High Court.
The ban on the LTTE, which has been in force since 1992, was re-issued by the central government on May 14, 2010.
The matter was referred to a statutory panel of the high court for ratification.
In November 2010, the tribunal rejected the plea to lift the ban on the LTTE on the grounds that no member of the organisation had challenged the ban.
The panel decision was justified citing that Indian soil was being used for unlawful activities propelled by the remnant cadres of the LTTE.
It also said that there was sufficient material to declare the LTTE as an unlawful association, contemplated under the Prevention of Unlawful Activities Act.
Vaiko a staunch supporter of the LTTE told the court in this backdrop that the ban placed against the LTTE in India was unjustified because the organisation never sought to annex any part of India to the proposed Tamil Eelam.
However in this backdrop an Additional solicitor-general representing the Central Indian government, stated that no member of the banned outfit had challenged the validity of the ban and said that the petitioners had been rightly declared as persons without any locus standi by the tribunal.
The Advocate-general informed court that the Tamil Nadu government adopted the Centre's stand on the issue.