Hirunews Logo
Indonesia+to+remove+Sri+Lanka+from+its+Immigration+Red+List.
Tuesday, 08 May 2012 - 8:25
Indonesia to remove Sri Lanka from its Immigration Red List.
13

Shares
1,623

Views

The Laws and Human Rights Ministry of Indonesian government has said Indonesia will remove Sri Lanka from its immigration red list later this month.

A ministry official has said that the economy and security of Sri Lanka had improved, allowing the Indonesian government to relax the visa arrangements for Sri Lankan citizens entering the country.

The measure comes four months later than initially planned.

Indonesia is cautious in allowing immigrants to enter the country as it fears that the number of illegal immigrants entering Indonesia for resettlement, or to migrate to Australia through the country will increase with the removal of countries from the red list.

According to the Immigration Office only 10% of Sri Lankans entering Indonesia legally exited the country, while the remaining 90% could not be located.

Sri Lanka along with Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Myanmar and Pakistan has been listed as a main source of refugees trying to reach Australia.

Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Heavy snow across the globe
Friday, 13 January 2017 - 9:29
Many countries are experiencing heavy snow, foreign media states. The temperature in England, Scotland, North Ireland and Wales has hit minus 10 degrees... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
579 Views
1,015 Views
2,268 Views
1,712 Views
10,044 Views
44,558 Views
Top