Justifying the continuation of the ban on the LTTE, the Indian government asserted that the banned organisation continued to be a threat to the country’s sovereignty and integrity.
Immediately after the assassination of the former Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi in May 1991, the Union government, which had imposed the ban on the LTTE for the first time in May 1992, had been extending it every two years under the provisions of the Unlawful Activities Act.
As per the law, the Centre had issued a notification banning the organisation on May 14th for another period of two years.
On Friday, Justice V.K. Jain, who constitutes the one-man Tribunal set up under the Act to go into the ban, conducted a hearing in Chennai to decide its validity.
Filing an affidavit before the Tribunal, R.K. Suman, Director of Internal Security, Union Home Ministry said, “Though the LTTE has been decimated, there are reports to indicate that remnant LTTE cadres are trying to regroup and revive the organisation in Tamil Nadu and elsewhere in India.
He also said there were reports that the banned organisation was likely to revive with the assistance of Maoist organisations in the country.