A team of researchers from the Borella Medical Research Centre has discovered a new species of mosquito which has similar traits as the Dengue mosquito.
Director of the Borella Medical Research Centre, Dr. Anil Smaranayaka stated that there are 16 species of mosquito found in Sri Lanka and that this new discovery has been classified as a 17th species.
This is the first time in 124 years that a new species of mosquito has been discovered in Sri Lanka.
The new mosquito which was found in the Kalutara region has a white band similar to that of the Dengue mosquito on its head.
The new species also appears to have two proboscises for feeding which was revealed during further research.
Special attention has been turned towards this new species of mosquito as it inhabits the same environment as the dengue mosquito.
- ON'ALLY HOLDINGS, ORIENT GARMENTS, LANKA CERAMIC, ADAM INVESTMENTS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-07-28
- HAYLEYS FIBRE, KELANI CABLES - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS 2014-07-28
- INTERIM FINANCIAL STATEMENTS 30-06-2014 2014-07-28
- ON'ALLY HOLDINGS, ORIENT GARMENTS, LANKA CERAMIC - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-07-28
- HAYLEYS FIBRE - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2014-07-28
- COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON - APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMAN & DEPUTY CHAIRMAN 2014-07-28
- ON'ALLY HOLDINGS, ORIENT GARMENTS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-07-28
- UNITED MOTORS LANKA - EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING 2014-07-28
- DIPPED PRODUCTS - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2014-07-28
- ON'ALLY HOLDINGS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-07-28
- LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY LIMITED ('THE COMPANY') - OFFER FOR SUBSCRIPTION 2014-07-28
- PCH HOLDINGS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-07-28
- DUNAMIS CAPITAL - DEBENTURE ISSUE (OVERSUBSCRIBED) 2014-07-28
- LANKA VENTURES, CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS 2014-07-25
- INTERIM FINANCIAL STATEMENTS 30-06-2014 2014-07-25