A team of researchers from the Borella Medical Research Centre has discovered a new species of mosquito which has similar traits as the Dengue mosquito.
Director of the Borella Medical Research Centre, Dr. Anil Smaranayaka stated that there are 16 species of mosquito found in Sri Lanka and that this new discovery has been classified as a 17th species.
This is the first time in 124 years that a new species of mosquito has been discovered in Sri Lanka.
The new mosquito which was found in the Kalutara region has a white band similar to that of the Dengue mosquito on its head.
The new species also appears to have two proboscises for feeding which was revealed during further research.
Special attention has been turned towards this new species of mosquito as it inhabits the same environment as the dengue mosquito.
- BAIRAHA FARMS, ORIENT GARMENTS, UNITED MOTORS, VIDULLANKA - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-03-07
- LANKA CEMENT - Interim financial statements 31-12-2013 2014-03-07
- BAIRAHA FARMS, ORIENT GARMENTS, UNITED MOTORS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-03-07
- LANKA IOC - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2014-03-07
- BOGALA GRAPHITE - ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2014-03-07
- BAIRAHA FARMS, ORIENT GARMENTS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-03-07
- TOUCHWOOD INVESTMENTS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-03-07
- SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS, SOFTLOGIC CAPITAL - RIGHTS ISSUE 2014-03-07
- ANNUAL REPORTS 2013 2014-03-07
- TOUCHWOOD INVESTMENTS, THE LIGHTHOUSE HOTEL, BAIRAHA FARMS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-03-06
- LION BREWERY - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2014-03-06
- SOFTLOGIC CAPITAL - RIGHTS ISSUE 2014-03-06
- JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2014-03-06
- ALUMEX LIMITED - INITIAL PUBLIC OFFERING (OVERSUBSCRIBED) 2014-03-06
- TOUCHWOOD INVESTMENTS, THE LIGHTHOUSE HOTEL - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-03-06