A team of researchers from the Borella Medical Research Centre has discovered a new species of mosquito which has similar traits as the Dengue mosquito.
Director of the Borella Medical Research Centre, Dr. Anil Smaranayaka stated that there are 16 species of mosquito found in Sri Lanka and that this new discovery has been classified as a 17th species.
This is the first time in 124 years that a new species of mosquito has been discovered in Sri Lanka.
The new mosquito which was found in the Kalutara region has a white band similar to that of the Dengue mosquito on its head.
The new species also appears to have two proboscises for feeding which was revealed during further research.
Special attention has been turned towards this new species of mosquito as it inhabits the same environment as the dengue mosquito.
- SEYLAN DEVELOPMENTS, MERCANTILE INVESTMENTS - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS 2015-02-27
- RENUKA FOODS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-02-27
- RENUKA AGRI FOODS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-02-27
- ALUMEX, CEYLON HOTELS, LANKA WALLTILES, BAIRAHA FARMS, INDO MALAY - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-02-27
- LANKA CENTURY INVESTMENTS - 2015 WARRANT CONVERSION 2015-02-27
- JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-02-27
- ALUMEX, CEYLON HOTELS CORPORATION - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-02-27
- ALUMEX - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-02-27
- FIRST CAPITAL TREASURIES LIMITED - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2015-02-27
- SEYLAN DEVELOPMENTS - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2015-02-27
- FIRST CAPITAL TREASURIES LIMITED - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2015-02-26
- Interim Financial Statements 31-12-2014 2015-02-20
- ASCOT HOLDINGS - RIGHTS ISSUE (NOTIFICATION ON THE LISTING OF SHARES) 2015-02-20
- SAMPATH BANK - CASH & SCRIP DIVIDEND 2015-02-20
- RESUS ENERGY - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-02-20