A team of researchers from the Borella Medical Research Centre has discovered a new species of mosquito which has similar traits as the Dengue mosquito.
Director of the Borella Medical Research Centre, Dr. Anil Smaranayaka stated that there are 16 species of mosquito found in Sri Lanka and that this new discovery has been classified as a 17th species.
This is the first time in 124 years that a new species of mosquito has been discovered in Sri Lanka.
The new mosquito which was found in the Kalutara region has a white band similar to that of the Dengue mosquito on its head.
The new species also appears to have two proboscises for feeding which was revealed during further research.
Special attention has been turned towards this new species of mosquito as it inhabits the same environment as the dengue mosquito.
- UNITED MOTORS, AMANA TAKAFUL, UNION CHEMICALS, FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-04-17
- UNITED MOTORS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-04-17
- DIALOG AXIATA - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2014-04-16
- UNION CHEMICALS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-04-16
- RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2014-04-16
- CSE CIRCULAR: AMENDMENT TO THE CSE LISTING RULES 2014-04-11
- KOTAGALA PLANTATIONS - APPOINTMENT OF CEO AND DEPUTY CEO 2014-04-11
- FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS, VIDULLANKA - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-04-11
- SINHAPUTHRA FINANCE - INTRODUCTION OF NON-VOTING NON-CUMULATIVE NON-REDEEMABLE PREFERENCE SHARES 2014-04-11
- SRI LANKA TELECOM - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-04-11
- FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-04-11
- AMANA BANK - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2014-04-11
- CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-04-11
- CENTRAL FINANCE COMPANY - DISCLOSURE UNDER RULE 36 OF TAKEOVERS AND MERGERS CODE 2014-04-11
- BAIRAHA FARMS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-04-11