Tuesday, 15 April 2014 - 13:17
A PIL filed in the Supreme Court of India against Indian military intervention without authorisation in the war.
A PIL filed in the Supreme Court has said Indian military personnel took direct part in the war, and that some were even injured in the battle.
Click here to Comment
A Sikh officer was commanding the forces, it said, citing eyewitness evidence and international probe.
Noting that deploying Indian military without parliamentary or presidential nod is illegal, it sought a special tribunal to probe and prosecute persons who were behind the war, besides compensation to the immediate families of the victims.
The petition filed by Delhi-based advocate Ram Sankar, secretary of Delhi Tamil Advocates Association, last week has been listed for hearing on April 17th.
The petition said Indian Army, Navy and Air Force personnel "were unlawfully sent to Sri Lanka to aid and abet the Sri Lankan forces in their internal war.
Sankar said he visited Sri Lanka several times as part of international humanitarian efforts. "Asylum seekers have said that a turbaned Indian officer was seen commanding the armed forces that were attacking Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu."
He said There is no provision in the Constitution permitting the use of Indian armed forces for any purpose other than for the defence of India.
Sankar cited the ministries of defence, external affairs and home, besides the cabinet secretariat, as respondents in the case.
When inquired from Cabinet Spokesperson Minister Keheliya Rambukwella, he stated that Sri Lankan government respects the court system of any country.
The Minister further stated that Sri Lanka will issue a statement after Indian Supreme Court issues a verdict regarding the matter.
However, Senior Attorney-at-law Goamin Daya-sri stated that this is a ploy implemented by the Tamil Diaspora to sabotage the bilateral relations between Sri Lanka and India.