Friday, 06 June 2014 - 8:07
A statement from Deputy Minister Hemal about attacking a police constable at the Expressway.
Police has questioned Deputy Minister Hemaal Gunasekara and recorded a statement with regard to attacking the police constable on duty at the Expressway.
Police Media Spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana said that the Mirihaana special investigation unit had recorded the statement yesterday.
Attacking a police constable and burning his vehicle in a rubber estate close to the Southern Expressway at Bombuwala in Dodamgoda in Kalutara was reported on the 30th May.
A four-member gang that had come in a cab had thus attacked police constable Suminda Saman, a 34 – year old father of three, attached to the Expressway Police Division.
While subsequently the victimized police constable made a statement to the police, the statement charged that a deputy Minister carried out the attack.
The statement said that the issuance of a form for a fine to the deputy minister concerned at the Southern Expressway on a previous day might have been the reason for the attack.
A form for a fine had been thus issued to Cooperative and Internal Trade Deputy Minister Hemaal Gunasekara at the Kottaawa entrance to the Southern Expressway.
It was in consequence of this that a statement was recorded from the deputy Minister yesterday.
Police Media Spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana said that the Deputy Minister had said he did not know anything about the attack.