Friday, 13 June 2014 - 13:58
Investigation to be held even without SL's assistance: says UNHRC.
After Sri Lanka categorically rejected the Human Rights Council resolution against the country, refusing any cooperation with the investigation, the Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights said it would use “well-tested methodologies” to credibly investigate Sri Lanka’s rights record.
OHCHR spokesperson Rupert Colville told The Hindu that there have been other instances in which Human Rights Council mandated investigations have had to be carried out without the cooperation of the Government concerned.
OHCHR spokesperson said in an e-mail interview the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights expressed “deep regret” at this decision.
The UN high commissioner for human rights appointed a controversial official to coordinate probe into allegations in the final stages of Sri Lanka's war.
Navi Pillay, the high commissioner for human rights, has appointed Sandra Beidas - who is accused of writing false reports about the conduct of the military in South Sudan - to coordinate the investigation team.
Sri Lanka has said that it would not co-operate with the investigation that is expected to be in operation for a 10-month period, beginning in mid-June 2014 and end in mid-April 2015.
This unit would be staffed by 12 members, including two forensic experts, a legal analyst, a gender specialist and investigators.
Beidas, a high ranking official, previously worked with the UN mission in South Sudan before being expelled from the country in November 2012 after being accused of writing false reports about the conduct of the South Sudanese military.