UPDATE: 41 arrested in connection with Aluthgama incident; 25 remanded.-Video
Police curfew will continue further in Beruwala and Aluthgama areas.
In addition security forces have also been deployed in Aluthgama, Welipenna, Darga Town, Beruwala and Maggona areas at the request of police.
Police temporarily lifted curfew in the area from 8am to 12 noon today to enable residents to attend to their essential daily needs.
Police Media Spokesman stated that no incident was reported during the slack period.
Meanwhile Army Media Spokesman Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasuriya explained to our news team about the security detail in the area for public safety.
At the same time police media spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana said that 41 persons were arrested for breaching curfew and unruly behavior.
Meantime Chief Prelate of Sri Lanka Amarapura Nikaya Dr. Davuldena Gnanissara Thera has issued a notice with regard to the incidents in Beruwala and Aluthgama.
The Nayake Thera stated that Buddhists should live in harmony with their fellow citizens irrespective of race and creed.
The Thera further stated that if there is an issue, compromise is the best solution to settle such problems.
Meanwhile UN Human Rights Commissioner Navaneedan Pillai, US Embassy in Colombo and Canada also issued notices after the Aluthgama and Beruwala incidents.
The three offices also requested the government to bring the culprits of the incidents to book.
At the same time, Australia issued a new travel advisory to its citizens and informed them to follow the instructions given by local authorities while police curfew is imposed.
UPDATE: Tuesday, 17 June 2014 - 07:05 PM
Police curfew in Beruwala & Aluthgama re-imposed from 12 noon - 10 arrested for violating curfew.
Police curfew has been re-imposed in Beruwala and Aluthgama areas.
Police temporarily removed curfew in the area from 8am to 12 noon today to enable residents to attend to their essential daily needs.
Police Media Spokesman stated that no incident was reported during the slack period but 10 persons who breached curfew were arrested by police and remanded yesterday.
You may also like :
Commitee apointed to investigate on the allegations against Sri Lankan war crimes gets support from General SecreataryRead More...
Watch Video >>>
Share this article with a friend
Provide your friends' Email address (Upto Five multiple email addresses can be separated with a comma and should not contain any in between spaces.)
Wednesday, 20 August 2014 - 18:52
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- J.L. MORISON SONS & JONES (CEYLON) - Errata Notice 2014-08-20
- CITIZENS DEVELOPMENT BUSINESS FINANCE - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-08-20
- DISCLOSURE RE: MANDATORY OFFER BY CARGILLS BANK LIMITED TO PURCHASE ALL THE REMAINING ORDINARY SHARES OF CAPITAL ALLIANCE FINANCE PLC 2014-08-20
- DISCLOSURE RE: MANDATORY OFFER BY ADAM INVESTMENTS LTD TO PURCHASE ALL THE REMAINING ORDINARY SHARES OF PC PHARMA PLC 2014-08-20
- ACL PLASTICS, CIC HOLDINGS - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS 2014-08-19
- ANNUAL REPORT 2013/2014 2014-08-19
- INTERIM FINANCIAL STATEMENTS 30-06-2014 2014-08-19
- Default Board - Transferred In 2014-08-19
- ABANS - APPOINTMENT OF MANAGING DIRECTOR 2014-08-19
- VIDULLANKA - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-08-19
- ORIENT GARMENTS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-08-19
- DISCLOSURE RE: MANDATORY OFFER BY CARGILLS BANK LIMITED TO PURCHASE ALL THE REMAINING ORDINARY SHARES OF CAPITAL ALLIANCE FINANCE PLC 2014-08-19
- OGL.N0000 - Trading Halt 2014-08-19
- SWISSTEK (CEYLON), BUKIT DARAH, COMMERCIAL BANK, HAYLEYS MGT KNITTING, CARSON CUMBERBATCH - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-08-18
- BLUE DIAMONDS, AMANA BANK, SMB LEASING, SENKADAGALA FINANCE - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2014-08-18