Hirunews Logo
UN+envoy+says+%27war%27+on+Ebola+could+take+six+more+months
Tuesday, 26 August 2014 - 6:54
UN envoy says 'war' on Ebola could take six more months
43

Shares
5,236

Views
The UN's Ebola envoy said yesterday, that the fight against the epidemic was a "war" which could take 6 more months, as its global health body claimed the disease was affecting an "unprecedented" number of medical staff.

David Nabarro, a British physician the United Nations appointed to coordinate the global response to the crisis, was in Sierra Leone's capital Freetown for the fifth day of a tour of the region.

UN officials have pledged to step up efforts against the lethal tropical virus, which has infected more than 2,600 and killed 1,427 since the start of the year.

The World Health Organisation in fresh figures yesterday said more than 120 health workers across West Africa have died during the "unprecedented" outbreak, and more than 240 had been infected.
Make a Comment
Make a Comment

DOWNLOAD HIRUNEWS APP ON ANDROID & APPLE
Top 25 beaches in the world
Saturday, 25 February 2017 - 12:02
TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice awards reveals top 25 beaches in the world. Baia do Sancho on the Brazilian archipelago Fernando de Noronha takes the top... Read More
News Image
Hiru News Programme Segments
2,002 Views
4,128 Views
2,706 Views
4,354 Views
3,029 Views
48,379 Views
Top