Wednesday, 05 November 2014 - 12:54
India pulls warships from Kolkata as city on 'terror' alert
India's navy withdrew two warships from Kolkata's port, a spokesman said, as the eastern city was placed on high alert for a possible "terror" attack.
The navy said the ships had withdrawn for "prior operational reasons", although a port official indicated they had been due to take part in an exhibition today.
The move came as police and the Indian Coast Guard said the city and port had been placed on high alert for a possible attack.
India placed several states on alert in September, when Al-Qaeda announced it was launching a new branch to "wage jihad" in South Asia.