The Colombo High Court decided today to continuously hear the murder case of a British national and the gang rape of his Russian partner at a tourist resort in Tangalle on 26th ,27th and 28th of this month.
Colombo High Court Judge Rohini Walgama stressed that under any circumstances, the case would not be postponed.
Charges are made against six suspects including Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Sampath Chandrapushpa Vidanapathirana.
Vidanapathirana was still in remand while the other suspects were released earlier on bail, and all of them appeared before the High Court Judge today.
When President Counsel Kalinga Indratissa said that he appears only for Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana, the Judge asked the other suspects to name their lawyers who would appear for them.
Once the suspects named their lawyers, the Judged enquired them whether they need the service of state counsels.
Later three of them said that they need the services of state counsels.
Meanwhile our correspondent said that the Judge sent the indictment papers to state counsels and informed them to prepare for the case.
Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana was remanded again until the case is taken for trial on the 26th of this month.
You might also like :
Thursday, 18 December 2014 - 19:49
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- PC HOUSE - Interim Financial Statements 30-09-2014 2014-12-18
- ABANS - DEBENTURE ISSUE (OVERSUBSCRIBED) 2014-12-18
- LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY - Annual Report 2013/2014 2014-12-18
- LION BREWERY CEYLON - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-12-18
- ORIENT FINANCE - DEBENTURE ISSUE (OVERSUBSCRIBED) 2014-12-18
- ASIAN ALLIANCE INSURANCE - SEGREGATION OF GENERAL INSURANCE BUSINESS 2014-12-18
- JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-12-18
- SAMPATH BANK - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2014-12-18
- MANDATORY OFFER BY ADAM INVESTMENTS LIMITED TO ACQUIRE THE BALANCE ISSUED AND FULLY PAID VOTING SHARES OF PCH HOLDINGS PLC - EXTENSION OF OFFER PERIOD 2014-12-18
- MANDATORY OFFER BY RICHARD PIERIS FINANCE LIMITED TO ACQUIRE ALL THE REMAINING ORDINARY SHARES OF CHILAW FINANCE PLC 2014-12-18
- SIYAPATHA FINANCE LIMITED - DEBENTURE ISSUE (OVERSUBSCRIBED) 2014-12-18
- UNION ASSURANCE - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2014-12-11
- SAMPATH BANK - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2014-12-11
- CENTRAL INVESTMENTS & FINANCE - Audited Financial Statements 31.03.2013 2014-12-11
- ORIENT GARMENTS, ASIA SIYAKA COMMODITIES, UNITED MOTORS LANKA - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2014-12-11