The Colombo High Court decided today to continuously hear the murder case of a British national and the gang rape of his Russian partner at a tourist resort in Tangalle on 26th ,27th and 28th of this month.
Colombo High Court Judge Rohini Walgama stressed that under any circumstances, the case would not be postponed.
Charges are made against six suspects including Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Sampath Chandrapushpa Vidanapathirana.
Vidanapathirana was still in remand while the other suspects were released earlier on bail, and all of them appeared before the High Court Judge today.
When President Counsel Kalinga Indratissa said that he appears only for Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana, the Judge asked the other suspects to name their lawyers who would appear for them.
Once the suspects named their lawyers, the Judged enquired them whether they need the service of state counsels.
Later three of them said that they need the services of state counsels.
Meanwhile our correspondent said that the Judge sent the indictment papers to state counsels and informed them to prepare for the case.
Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana was remanded again until the case is taken for trial on the 26th of this month.
You might also like :
2 suspects who aided and abetted the assassination attempt on former President Chandrika jailed for 300 and 290 years respectively
Wednesday, 30 September 2015 - 19:25
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- LB FINANCE, UNITED MOTORS, PEOPLE'S LEASING - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-09-29
- MANDATORY OFFER BY CHC INVESTMENTS (PRIVATE) LIMITED TO PURCHASE ALL THE REMAINING ORDINARY SHARES OF TAPROBANE HOLDINGS PLC - EXTENSION OF THE OFFER PERIOD 2015-09-29
- MTD WALKERS - DEBENTURE ISSUE (BASIS OF ALLOTMENT) 2015-09-29
- BIMPUTH FINANCE - ERRATA TO THE ANNUAL REPORT 2014/2015 2015-09-29
- LB FINANCE, UNITED MOTORS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-09-29
- SIERRA CABLES,MERCHANT BANK OF SRI LANKA, CITY HOUSING & REAL ESTATE CO. - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-09-29
- LB FINANCE - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-09-29
- MTD WALKERS - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2015-09-29
- BROWNS INVESTMENTS - ERRATA TO THE ANNUAL REPORT 2014/2015 2015-09-29
- SIERRA CABLES - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-09-29
- ABANS FINANCE - FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENT RE:CHANGE OF COMPANY ADDRESS 2015-09-29
- PAN ASIA BANK - DEBENTURE ISSUE (BASIS OF ALLOTMENT) 2015-09-29
- LANKA CEMENT - CHANGE OF REGISTERED ADDRESS 2015-09-29
- UNION ASSURANCE - REPURCHASE OF SHARES 2015-09-29
- NAWALOKA HOSPITALS - CLARIFICATION TO A NEWS PAPER ARTICLE 2015-09-28