The Colombo High Court decided today to continuously hear the murder case of a British national and the gang rape of his Russian partner at a tourist resort in Tangalle on 26th ,27th and 28th of this month.
Colombo High Court Judge Rohini Walgama stressed that under any circumstances, the case would not be postponed.
Charges are made against six suspects including Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Sampath Chandrapushpa Vidanapathirana.
Vidanapathirana was still in remand while the other suspects were released earlier on bail, and all of them appeared before the High Court Judge today.
When President Counsel Kalinga Indratissa said that he appears only for Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana, the Judge asked the other suspects to name their lawyers who would appear for them.
Once the suspects named their lawyers, the Judged enquired them whether they need the service of state counsels.
Later three of them said that they need the services of state counsels.
Meanwhile our correspondent said that the Judge sent the indictment papers to state counsels and informed them to prepare for the case.
Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana was remanded again until the case is taken for trial on the 26th of this month.
You might also like :
Tuesday, 31 March 2015 - 16:42
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT (DATES) 2015-03-31
- COMD - Annual Report 2014 2015-03-31
- TOKYO CEMENT, NATION LANKA, UNITED MOTORS, ORIENT GARMENTS, THE COLOMBO FORT LAND - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-03-31
- DIPPED PRODUCTS, KEGALLE PLANTATIONS, RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS 2015-03-31
- REGNIS(LANKA) - RESIGNATION/APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMAN 2015-03-31
- E B CREASY & COMPANY - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-03-31
- THE COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-03-31
- VALLIBEL FINANCE - DEBENTURE ISSUE (BASIS OF ALLOTMENT) 2015-03-31
- UNION BANK OF COLOMBO - EMPLOYEE SHARE OWNERSHIP PLAN 2015-03-31
- COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON - EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING - 2015 2015-03-31
- AMAYA LEISURE - CASH & SCRIP DIVIDEND 2015-03-31
- SINGER INDUSTRIES (CEYLON) - RESIGNATION/APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMAN 2015-03-31
- PCH HOLDINGS - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-03-31
- NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK, COMMERCIAL BANK, SINGER SRI LANKA, SINGER INDUSTRIES, HAYCARB, HAYLEYS MGT, ALUFAB, SIERRA CABLES - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-03-31
- SINGER SRI LANKA - RESIGNATION/APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRMAN 2015-03-31