The Colombo High Court decided today to continuously hear the murder case of a British national and the gang rape of his Russian partner at a tourist resort in Tangalle on 26th ,27th and 28th of this month.
Colombo High Court Judge Rohini Walgama stressed that under any circumstances, the case would not be postponed.
Charges are made against six suspects including Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Sampath Chandrapushpa Vidanapathirana.
Vidanapathirana was still in remand while the other suspects were released earlier on bail, and all of them appeared before the High Court Judge today.
When President Counsel Kalinga Indratissa said that he appears only for Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana, the Judge asked the other suspects to name their lawyers who would appear for them.
Once the suspects named their lawyers, the Judged enquired them whether they need the service of state counsels.
Later three of them said that they need the services of state counsels.
Meanwhile our correspondent said that the Judge sent the indictment papers to state counsels and informed them to prepare for the case.
Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana was remanded again until the case is taken for trial on the 26th of this month.
You might also like :
- Update: First plane carrying Sri Lankan Relief Aid teams reach Nepal
- Several Buddhist places of worship damaged following Nepal earthquake; Aftershock of 6.7 magnitude hit Nepal; Death toll exceeds 2200
- Update: World offers help after Nepal quake, but few know scope yet
- Arresting politicians has become an issue - Mahinda
Monday, 27 April 2015 - 8:03
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- AMAYA LEISURE - SCRIP DIVIDEND (NOTIFICATION ON THE LISTING OF SHARES) 2015-04-27
- PCH HOLDINGS - CHANGE OF CHAIRMAN & CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-04-27
- PANASIAN POWER - CHANGE OF REGISTERED ADDRESS 2015-04-24
- Annual Reports 2014 2015-04-24
- UNION CHEMICALS LANKA - Interim Financial Statements 25-03-2015 2015-04-24
- CITIZENS DEVELOPMENT BUSINESS FINANCE - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-04-24
- AMENDMENTS TO THE LISTING RULES OF THE COLOMBO STOCK EXCHANGE - SECTION 3.1 2015-04-24
- UNION CHEMICALS LANKA - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2015-04-24
- CITIZENS DEVELOPMENT, COMMERCIAL BANK - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-04-24
- SENKADAGALA FINANCE, SELINSING, SHALIMAR (MALAY), INDO MALAY, GOOD HOPE - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENTS 2015-04-23
- NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK - FURTHER ANNOUNCEMENT RE: CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-04-23
- CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA - Interim Financial Statements 31-03-2015 2015-04-23
- Annual Report 2014 2015-04-23
- SENKADAGALA FINANCE - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2015-04-23
- BLUE DIAMONDS, DFCC BANK, LANKEM CEYLON - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-04-23