The Colombo High Court decided today to continuously hear the murder case of a British national and the gang rape of his Russian partner at a tourist resort in Tangalle on 26th ,27th and 28th of this month.
Colombo High Court Judge Rohini Walgama stressed that under any circumstances, the case would not be postponed.
Charges are made against six suspects including Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Sampath Chandrapushpa Vidanapathirana.
Vidanapathirana was still in remand while the other suspects were released earlier on bail, and all of them appeared before the High Court Judge today.
When President Counsel Kalinga Indratissa said that he appears only for Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana, the Judge asked the other suspects to name their lawyers who would appear for them.
Once the suspects named their lawyers, the Judged enquired them whether they need the service of state counsels.
Later three of them said that they need the services of state counsels.
Meanwhile our correspondent said that the Judge sent the indictment papers to state counsels and informed them to prepare for the case.
Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana was remanded again until the case is taken for trial on the 26th of this month.
You might also like :
Saturday, 31 January 2015 - 11:28
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- SRI LANKA TELECOM - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-01-26
- DE-LISTING OF NDB CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC 2015-01-26
- PRADESHIYA SANWARDANA BANK - DEBENTURE ISSUE 2015-01-26
- ASIAN ALLIANCE INSURANCE - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-01-26
- BANK OF CEYLON - RESIGNATION OF CHAIRMAN & CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-01-26
- MIRAMAR BEACH HOTEL - IMPOSING A TRADE SUSPENSION UNDER THE DIRECTIVE ISSUED UNDER SECTION 13(C) OF THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION OF SRI LANKA 2015-01-26
- LAUGFS GAS, UNITED MOTORS, PEOPLE'S LEASING, ASIA ASSET FINANCE - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-01-26
- Interim Financial Statements 31-12-2014 2015-01-26
- CITRUS LEISURE - CORPORATE DISCLOSURE 2015-01-26
- AMANA TAKAFUL - RIGHTS ISSUE (NOTIFICATION ON THE LISTING OF SHARES) 2015-01-27
- DISTILLERIES COMPANY, BLUE DIAMONDS - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-01-27
- MERCHANT BANK - RESIGNATION OF CHAIRMAN 2015-01-27
- DISCLOSURE RE: MANDATORY OFFER BY ACL CABLES PLC, NDB CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC AND TRYDAN PARTNERS (PRIVATE) LIMITED TO PURCHASE ALL THE REMAINING ISSUED AND PAID UP ORDINARY SHARES OF RESUS ENERGY PLC 2015-01-27
- FIRST CAPITAL TREASURIES LIMITED - DEBENTURE ISSUE (OVERSUBSCRIBED) 2015-01-27
- VIDULLANKA, ALUMEX, SELINSING - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-01-27