The Colombo High Court decided today to continuously hear the murder case of a British national and the gang rape of his Russian partner at a tourist resort in Tangalle on 26th ,27th and 28th of this month.
Colombo High Court Judge Rohini Walgama stressed that under any circumstances, the case would not be postponed.
Charges are made against six suspects including Tangalle Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Sampath Chandrapushpa Vidanapathirana.
Vidanapathirana was still in remand while the other suspects were released earlier on bail, and all of them appeared before the High Court Judge today.
When President Counsel Kalinga Indratissa said that he appears only for Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana, the Judge asked the other suspects to name their lawyers who would appear for them.
Once the suspects named their lawyers, the Judged enquired them whether they need the service of state counsels.
Later three of them said that they need the services of state counsels.
Meanwhile our correspondent said that the Judge sent the indictment papers to state counsels and informed them to prepare for the case.
Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Vidanapathirana was remanded again until the case is taken for trial on the 26th of this month.
You might also like :
The next parliament will appoint a Select committee to probe CB Treasury bond issue; statement from PM
Tuesday, 07 July 2015 - 13:02
Colombo Stock Exchange News
- UNITED MOTORS LANKA, SWISSTEK (CEYLON), NATION LANKA FINANCE, COLOMBO FORT INVESTMENTS - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-07-07
- MANDATORY OFFER TO PURCHASE ALL THE REMAINING ISSUED ORDINARY SHARES OF PEOPLE'S MERCHANT FINANCE PLC BY PEOPLE'S LEASING AND FINANCE PLC AND PEOPLE'S BANK 2015-07-07
- Extraordinary General Meetings 2015-07-07
- UNITED MOTORS LANKA, SWISSTEK (CEYLON), NATION LANKA FINANCE - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-07-07
- UNITED MOTORS LANKA, SWISSTEK (CEYLON) - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-07-07
- UNITED MOTORS LANKA - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-07-07
- TEXTURED JERSEY LANKA - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2015-07-07
- Annual Reports 2014/2015 2015-07-06
- C T LAND DEVELOPMENT - DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT 2015-07-06
- ADAM INVESTMENTS - CHANGE OF CHAIRMAN 2015-07-06
- KELSEY DEVELOPMENTS - APPOINTMENT OF CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER 2015-07-06
- CITIZENS DEVELOPMENT - DEALINGS BY DIRECTORS 2015-07-06
- CEYLON HOSPITALS, DFCC BANK - CHANGE IN DIRECTORATE 2015-07-06
- PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT - CHANGE OF COMPANY SECRETARY (AMENDED) 2015-07-06
- HNB ASSURANCE - APPOINTMENT OF CHAIRPERSON 2015-07-06