Met Department says rainy condition over the island and surrounding sea areas is expected to enhance during next few days.
Heavy falls, above 100mm, can be expected at some places, particularly in Central, Sabaragamuwa, Southern, Uva and Western provinces.
The showery condition in the sea areas around the island is expected to enhance.
Heavy falls can be expected at some places, particularly in the sea areas off the coast extending from Puttalam to Batticaloa via Colombo, Galle, and Pottuvil.
People are warned that severe lightning and temporarily strong gusty winds up to 70-80 kmph are also possible during thundershowers.
The people who are living near the hills and valleys banks are advised to be on alert about the hazards that can occur due to heavy rainfall and thunderstorm.
The people who are engaged in naval and fishing activities in the sea areas around the Island have been advised to take adequate precautions to avoid the hazards due to heavy rains, severe thunderstorms and temporarily strong gusty winds associated with rough sea areas.
People are also advised:
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors, covered vehicles and never under trees
* Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
* Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
* Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
* Beware of fallen trees and power lines.