GMOA warns that the number of COVID deaths can rise, if necessary steps aren't taken (Video)

Monday, 26 October 2020 - 17:13


The Government Medical Officers' Association (GMOA) has warned that the number of coronavirus deaths could increase in the next two months if the right decisions are not taken soon regarding the current situation. 
GMOA Secretary, Dr. Haritha Aluthge, said authorities were delaying following the association's instructions. 

Chief Epidemiologist of the Epidemiology Unit, Dr. Sudath Samaraweera stated that there is no possibility of another person being infected with the coronavirus once a patient recovers from the virus. 

Meanwhile, a 70-year-old resident of Colombo 02 who was receiving treatment at the Surgical Intensive Care Unit of the Colombo National Hospital died yesterday (25). The deceased was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus, state the Health Services Director-General. The 

Government Information Department reported that it was the 16th coronavirus related death in Sri Lanka. His last rites will be performed today (26)in accordance with quarantine rules. 

With the identification of 351 new COVID-19 infections yesterday (25), the total number of coronavirus infections in the country has increased to 7,875. 

Army Commander Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva said that 312 new cases were reported from the Minuwangoda Brandix and Peliyagoda fish market COVID-19 clusters. Also, 36 persons who were in quarantine centers were identified as having coronavirus infections yesterday (25).

Accordingly, the total number of infected people reported from those clusters at present is 4,398. In addition, one person from the United Arab Emirates and two Filipino sailors who were said to be being quarantined at quarantine centers were also identified as COVID-19 infected.

Army Commander Lieutenant General Silva stated that 159 of the reported cases were reported from Colombo yesterday (25). 

The Western Province Senior DIG's Office stated that three officers of the Narahenpita, Seeduwa and Mirihana Police were infected with the coronavirus. 

It is reported that a businessman residing in the Kadwatha area where COVID-19 patients were identified, had travelled to Dambulla in a lorry and had visited several shops at the Dambulla Economic Center for three days He had travelled to Dambulla despite the instructions given to him to stay at home as he was subjected to PCR testing. 

Meanwhile, following the report of coronavirus infection, the Hatton public market where the COVID-19 patient had roamed was closed, while other shops in the area that were closed yesterday (25) were re-opened today (26). 

Also, after directing 49 persons including the OIC of the Kosgoda Police to quarantine, the Kosgoda police station was disinfected last night. It is reported that a new police team has been deployed for its duties.