Prayer service at Seenigama over gas-related accidents

Monday, 29 November 2021 - 10:05

Prayer+service+at+Seenigama+over+gas-related+accidents+
The Government Analyst's Department is focusing on conducting on-site investigations into gas-related fires. Sources said that a special team of the department will visit the areas where the fires were reported in the future and begin investigations.

Meanwhile, an incident has been reported when a hotel in the Ahangama area heard a loud noise while attempting to install a regulator on a gas cylinder yesterday afternoon.

When we inquired we stated that the Ahangama Police has also been informed about this. However, police stated that no fire had broken out at the scene.

A gas stove exploded with a loud noise last night from a house in Tudella, Ja-Ela.

Two gas related fires were reported from Kegalle and Puttalam - Arachchikattuwa areas yesterday as well.

Fires related to gas leaks have been reported in the past few days from a restaurant near Ratnapura, Alawwa, Weligama, Pannipitiya, Colombo Race Course and Nikaweratiya areas.

In the face of that situation there has been a lot of talk in the society regarding the contents of the cylinders.

In view of this problematic situation among the people, the Consumer Affairs Authority took steps to collect samples from seven districts including Colombo and send them for testing. State Minister of Consumer Affairs Lasantha Alagiyawanna stated that the reports will be received by him today.

Meanwhile a prayer service was held at the Seenigama Devalaya yesterday requesting the people to be saved from gas accidents.

Our correspondent stated that a group of representatives of the Galle District United Democratic Organization went to the Seenigama Devalaya with a gas tank, tied a gift and prayed to God.

Asela Sampath, chairman of the Public Safety Foundation, recently released a video on social media explaining that the fire was caused by a change in the composition of the gas in the cylinders.